Monday, October 20, 2014

Article by Tony Fernandes: If I Were 22: Dream the Impossible..



What would I do if I were 22? My advice to those just starting out on their careers comes in three parts.
First: Dream the impossible.
I know it seems like an obvious thing to say, and I am sure you've heard it a thousand times before. But too often, people dream too small. Not because they can't dream big but
because they have been conditioned to play it safe.
Growing up, my father wanted me to be a doctor. He was a doctor and he wanted me to be one too. I wasn't keen but he wanted me to try anyway. So to make him happy, I went for the entrance exam. But instead of doing the paper, I took a nap and handed it in empty. I told my father, look I gave it a go but I failed.
Dreams are not enough, though. Everyone has dreams, not everyone works at them. That brings me to the second part of my advice.
Second: Have a plan.
If you know where you want to be, you should have an idea how to get there. You must work towards it. Otherwise, your dreams are just talk. Set yourself a goal, set yourself some targets and figure out how you are going to do it.
It's hard work, and it's not for the faint-hearted. But if you are passionate about it, it does not become work, it'll be a joy to do.
Third: Don't give up.
Dreams worth having are never easy to achieve, and more often than not, you will encounter disappointment.
Never let failure get you down. It really is better to have tried and failed than to have never tried at all. You will either learn learn something valuable from the experience, or be that much closer to your dream. Keep pursuing your passion and success will come chasing after you.
When I started AirAsia, everyone told me I was crazy, that it would never work. And, to be honest, I didn't always know how it would turn out.
But it was a risk worth taking. Now I can say if I get hit by a bus tomorrow, I will have no regrets because I have achieved what I set out to do.
And that is the only life worth living.
Source:https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/article/20140527112605-18376250-if-i-were-22-dream-the-impossible?trk=mp-reader-card

No comments:

Post a Comment

Happy Deepavali

The festival of light is here! May you be the happiest and may love be always with you. Happy Deepavali!