Some of the benefits of using Nanotechnology in corrosion control include:
- Nanostructures with enhanced chemical reactivity can be used as nano-coupons for corrosion monitoring on the surface level.
- Nanoparticles are used as corrosion inhibitors and as nano-reservoirs for delivering inhibitors, including their effect on improving coatings and hermitic sealing.
- Nanoscale patterns and composites are able to produce non-wetting surfaces that prevent adsorption and aqueous media from making its way to the coating and the underlayer.
- Nanoscale analysis using surface sensitive tools like surface probe microscopy and surface plasmon spectroscopy to probe changes in coating integrity or analyze the mechanism and dynamics of the corrosion event.
- Materials that have hierarchical order up to the nanoscale serve as inspired or bio-inspired materials for corrosion mitigation.
The study and application of nanomaterials in corrosion control are just beginning, and an understanding of the relationships between their properties and their materials engineering on a molecular level seems to be key to the realization of nanomaterials’ full potential in corrosion control.
Leopad Group a leading provider of corrosion protection services ranges from the scope of blasting and painting, insulation, thermal spray application, passive fire protection, refractory and other services such as scaffolding, cable tray systems and cathode protection.
We are a Malaysian company with close to 3000 staff and over 10 offices and fabrication yards throughout the country. Leopad Group is dedicated to being the market leader for corrosion protection and provide the highest standards in the industry with the convenience of providing multi-disciplinary services through a single point of contact.
For further enquiries on our services, please contact our Business Development Department at +603-22600200 , website www.leopad.com or email at email@example.com
TEG 474X – Nanotechnology and CorrosionContributed by: Dr. Ananya Bhattacharya et al.